Joint, scholarships, lotteries… are all shots allowed to encourage people to get vaccinated?

A “seal against an sting” in Washington State, a beer in New Jersey, a burger and fries in New York, a $100 savings certificate and raffles to win guns in West Virginia or others to win thousands or even millions of dollars in Ohio, Colorado, Maryland and Oregon… the US states have heard the message from Joe Biden. Vaccination requires creativity.

After a fanfare start, the vaccination campaign slips away. By Wednesday, June 9, 43% of Americans had been fully vaccinated and another 9% had received their first dose. That’s a total of 52%, far from the White House target of meeting 70% of adults vaccinated for the first time on July 4 (national holiday). The aim in future is to track down the recalcitrant by all means.

→ EXPLANATION. Vaccination: Why Are The Appointments Decreasing For The First Dose?

The barometer “KFF Covid-19 Vaccine Monitor” distinguishes three groups: those who “wait to see it” † those who only do so when they have to; and unconditional refractories. They represent only 13% of the population. So there is still leeway to achieve herd immunity which is established at about 80% of the vaccinated population.

Catch the virus

But “in this race against the clock, the time factor predominates in the balance between time on the one hand of communication and education, and on the other hand the time of urgent vaccination”recall the co-founders of Citizen4Science Marie-Bayle Normand and Fabienne Pinson on a forum on Edition“Once implemented, the incentive should not overshadow this pedagogy, which will largely remain necessary for Covid vaccination, especially as it could require regular vaccination reminders. †

The United States is not alone in betting on the wallet to overcome the last resistances as quickly as possible. In Canada, on Wednesday, June 9, the government of Manitoba launched a nearly $1.5 million (€1.23 million) lottery of $100,000 worth of checks (€68,000) and $25,000 (€17,000) scholarships for students aged 12 to 17 years. In Hong Kong, government-backed private initiatives are offering vouchers, a luxury apartment or a Tesla car to vaccinated people in an effort to boost a dying campaign.

A powerful incentive tool

For them, Israel had set the principle in motion in February, with catering establishments offering beer, pizza or sweets to newly vaccinated young people. In China, the population is offered gifts (often everyday consumer goods) in exchange for a vaccination.

This bonus system is not yet up-to-date in the European Union. But some neighbors have already adopted it to relaunch their campaign. This is particularly the case for Serbia. Until the end of May, the government offered €25 to all vaccination volunteers. However, the World Health Organization (WHO) warned Europe against a vaccination campaign on Thursday, June 10 “far from adequate”

Is the greed to break the glass ceiling of vaccines really effective? “It’s about convincing people that the health imperative isn’t enough to convince – and who will be more wallet-sensitive”recalls Marie-Claire Villeval, research director at the CNRS and specialist in behavioral economics.

“It is a classic economic instrument. We are not used to paying for vaccinations, but we do give subsidies to do insulation work to reduce energy loss… it’s the same”she explains. “But how far can we go in monetizing health behaviour? †

Leave a Comment