The blood banks of the two units of GSH Banco de Sangue de Salvador, located at São Rafael Hospital and Aliança Hospital, are in urgent need of donations. The average daily donation was 40 blood bags. However, to balance the stocks, there must be at least 100 donations every day, in each of the units.
The drop in attendance may be caused by the more unstable weather with the onset of rain. According to Érica de Souza, head of fundraising for the Blood Bank, the state is critical and could compromise the supply of hospitals that serve patients admitted to various treatments and who need blood transfusions.
“We have been faced with this situation for a few weeks, which may be a reflection of climate change, with the arrival of rains which temporarily keep donors away, impacting the decline in our stocks. The public must remember that patients who need transfusions cannot wait”warns Erica de Souza.
Also according to the fundraiser, all blood types are needed and welcome. However, the “negative O” is what is missing the most. “O negative” blood is considered universal and can be transfused to anyone, because in cases of extreme urgency, when there is no time to do tests to prove the patient’s blood group , it is used by hospitals.
In addition, the blood bank has the protocol to transfuse O-negative blood bags in newborns up to 4 months old when they need a transfusion.
where to donate
The Salvador São Rafael GSH Blood Bank Unit serves donors daily, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., including Sundays and public holidays, Av São Rafael, 2152, São Marcos, telephones: (71) 3281 -6295 | WhatsApp: (71) 99718-8708.
At the Aliança unit, service is provided Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 1 p.m., and Saturday, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., on Av. Juracy Magalhães Júnior, 2096, telephones (71) 2108-4693 | WhatsApp: (71) 99653-1882.
Basic requirements for blood donation:
• Present an official document with photo (RG, CNH, etc.) in good condition;
• Be between 16 and 69 years old from the first donation until the age of 60 (minors need parental authorization and presence at the time of the donation);
• It is forbidden to make a donation accompanied by children under 12 (unless the minor is accompanied by two adults who must take turns during the donation);
• Being in good health, feeling well, without any symptoms;
• Weigh at least 50 kg and have slept at least 6 hours the last night;
• Not having consumed alcoholic beverages in the last 12 hours;
• After breakfast or eating fatty foods, wait 3 hours. Fasting is not necessary as long as you avoid fatty foods;
• If you have a tattoo and/or piercing, wait 12 months. Except for genital area and tongue (12 months after removal);
• Diabetes should be controlled and no insulin should be used;
• If you have had an endoscopy or an endoscopic procedure, wait 6 months;
• Not having had Chagas disease;
• Not having had any Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs);
• Applicants with flu and/or cold symptoms must wait 10 days after symptoms and medication have ceased;
• Wait 48 hours to donate if you have been vaccinated against the flu, as long as you have no symptoms;
• Applicants who have traveled abroad should contact the blood bank to understand the period during which they cannot donate (varies from country to country).
Consult our team in case of hypertension, taking medication and surgeries.
Criteria specific to the Coronavirus:
- People diagnosed or suspected of Covid should wait 10 days after full recovery and without the use of medication;
- People who test positive for Covid without symptoms should wait 10 days after the exam collection date;
- If you have had contact with a patient positive or suspected of COVID-19 and/or carried out voluntary isolation or under medical advice, wait 10 days after the last contact/end of isolation;
- Wait 48 hours if you took the Coronavac/Sinovac vaccine and 7 days if you took Astrazeneca, Pfizer or Janssen.
Salvadoran blood bank
- São Rafael Hospital Unit
Address: Avenida São Rafael, 2152 – São Marcos
Phones: (71) 3281-6295 | WhatsApp: (71) 99718-8708
Service: Every day, from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., including Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays
San Rafael Hospital parking lot
Address: Av. Juracy Magalhães Júnior, 2096 – Rio Vermelho
Phones: (71) 2108-4693 | WhatsApp: (71) 99653-1882
Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 1 p.m., and Saturday, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Alliance Hospital car park